Job Title: Psychometrician
CAL Classification: Research Associate
Program Area: PreK-12 ELL Assessment / Psychometrics and Quantitative Research
Division: Language Assessment
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full time)
Position Available: Immediately
Under the guidance of the Director of Psychometrics and Quantitative Research (PQR), the Psychometrician is responsible for designing psychometric analyses of test performances; conducting psychometrics analyses related to test construction, validity, reliability, equating, and scoring; preparing technical reports; developing, maintaining, and applying quality control procedures; providing quantitative guidance to professional research staff at CAL; and coordinating external quantitative resources on behalf of the organization. The Psychometrician will also provide quantitative guidance to other researchers at CAL.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, conduct, document and present psychometric and statistical analyses using classical test theory and the Rasch model with Winsteps and Facets software, including analyses related to item quality, rater performance, DIF, reliability and classification consistency, standard setting, equating, scoring, and reporting.
- Investigate and evaluate new approaches to conducting psychometric analyses.
- Establish and monitor quality control procedures related to quantitative analyses, from data cleaning to the final report, ensuring the reliability and integrity of results.
- Provide guidance to professional researchers on proposal design and quantitative analytical approaches upon request, and participate in writing quantitatively-oriented portions of proposals as required.
- Maintain contacts with individuals with specific quantitative expertise outside the organization who may be called on as needed for specific tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree (PhD/EdD) or ABD in Educational Measurement, Psychometrics, or related field preferred.
- Experience with language assessment.
- Experience in an operational testing program.
- Experience with computerized adaptive assessments.
- Experience creating replicable procedures for routine psychometric work.
- Strong demonstrated experience in conducting statistical and psychometric analyses.
- Strong demonstrated experience in applying the Rasch model to a variety of psychometric issues.
- Experience working as a member of a team in producing timely high quality deliverables for clients.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to use technology to automate repetitive tasks and processes.
- Ability to work with a diverse, multi-disciplinary professional team of researchers and scholars.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with a wide variety of audiences, including researchers, test developers, and educators.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using SPSS, Winsteps, Facets, R and other statistical and psychometric software.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of quality control procedures in creating and maintaining databases, conducting statistical and psychometric analyses, conducting other quantitative research, and producing technical reports.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to effectively communicate. The employee may be required to sit or stand in a stationary position for 50% of the time. This position constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. CAL adheres to ADA compliance and guidelines as a common practice.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CAL complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CAL expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CAL employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
IF INTERESTED, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER:
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, DC 20016-1859
ATTN: Human Resources, Recruitment 18-01 Psychometrician
firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Recruitment 18-01 Psychometrician
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States.